Network Not Working - multipart post

I am trying to install debian on my wife's computer. It already has Windows XP installed and running on the first partition and used to have Mandrake 10 on another partition. Both Windows XP and Mandrake 10 recognized all hardware components including the built in network chipset. I tried different debian CDs including Sarge testing net-install and Etch testing net-install and finally Sarge Stable DVD from Linux Format Magazine Cover CD. All these CDs have the same problem.. network is not work-ing :-) I then tested the network chipset by using Knoppix Live 4.0 DVD and it was detected and automatically configured properly. Here are some information I gathered so far. I will post Debian's Stable (Sarge), Testing (Etch) and Knoppix's data each in a separate post in reply to this to make it easy for others to read:

------------------------------
Computer:
 Acer ASPIRE 6634 (A), PIII 866MHz
Built-in Network Chipset:
 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE (not wireless)
------------------------------
Windows Settings:
 Location: PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 1, device 8, function 0)
 Memory Usage: 80120000-80120FFF
 I/O Range: 70C0-70FF
 IRQ: 10
 IP: 10.0.0.2
 Netmask: 255.255.255.0
 Broadcast: 10.0.0.255
 Gateway: 10.0.0.138
 DNS: 10.0.0.138
------------------------------
I noticed the following:
1) Debian Sarge is using an older kernel with an older e100 driver while Debian Etch is using kernel 2.6.12, same as Knoppix 4.0 but only Knoppix 4.0 works 2) I also noticed that Debian Stable and Testing for a strange reason disable IRQ10 and assign IRQ11 to network port, while Windows and Knoppix work with IRQ10.
 I checked the BIOS and in the Onboard Peripherals it list only these:
 * Serial Port 1 and 2
 * Parallal Port
 * Floppy, IDE, PS/2, USB Host Controllers
 * Audio Chip
 and none is using IRQ 10 or 11.
All help is greatly appreciated:

http://www.mishkah.org