Re: where is the source of alsa-module-2.6 ?

belahcene abdelkader wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with my sound card in sarge 2.6, (no
problem with  sarge kernel  2.4 ( the package
alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 is there)  it detects it as
snd-azx) which is in fact same snd-hda-intel. Mepis
3.4 found it correctly snd-hda-intel because the
alsa-module-2.6.15 is there and installed.
Since the alsa-module-2.6 is not present in sarge I
want to get the source from ( Mepis site) of
alsa-modules to compile hda-intel module. I don't
understand why the alsa-module-2.6 exists in Mepis and
not in sarge??

Mepis is optimized for desktop/laptop usage and therefore has better
support for all sorts of hardware. It also has newer versions of
everything since it is a derivative of Debian Sid ("unstable"). Sarge
("stable"), on the other hand, is optimized for the kind of stability
which you need on a mission-critical server. The packages are a bit
older, but well-tested and thoroughly debugged. This of course means
that the support for newer hardware is sometimes lacking.

Maybe the easiest solution for you is to upgrade to the 2.6.15 kernel.
(That also seems to be the version that Mepis is using.) snd-hda-intel
is included as a loadable module in the stock Debian images of 2.6.15.
If you want to stay with sarge then you might need one of the 2.6.15
images from www.backports.org.

Regards,
            Florian