Re: Controlling eth0,eth1,... assignment order?

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:36:35 +0100
Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:

> The solution given below has been working for some time now, until udev
> 0.085-1 from Feb 19 was installed. Then the behaviour is wrong again,
> eth0 is associated to the 8139too driver and eth1 is associated to the
> 3c59x driver. What has changed in the udev functionality? The
> file /etc/udev/static-nic.rules linked
> to /etc/udev/rules.d/025_static-nic.rules does not seem to be run at
> startup anymore :-( This issue should probably be an FAQ by now. Any
> pointers??
>
> Thanks,
> Svante

Even though the old version of the script worked I think technically
the script was never correct. Maybe it was just udev being changed to
more closely match behaviour as it is expected to be applied else where?
 Whatever the case I had to modify the script changing things that were
being evaluated to a == sign where before I had a single = sign which
now gets interpreted as setting a value. What I am using currently
looks like this:

# Start of udev rule for static ethernet device names.
#
# Place in /etc/udev then from the command line do 'chmod 0644' then
# 'ln -s /etc/udev/static-nic.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/025_static-nic.rules'
#
# Mapping specific MAC address to specific device names to ensure
# predictable behaviour with things that expect a specific network card
# to show up with the same name.
#
# SYSFS{address}=="MAC address" - MAC address should be the machine
# address of the network card the rule is for. Double == because this
# is a comparison
#
# NAME="name" - name is the device name you want used for the interface.
# These could be standard names eth0, wlan0, etc... or if you prefer
# something more descriptive lan, internet, wireless, etc... Single =
# because we are setting the name

KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:01:02:03:04:05", NAME="wireless"
KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="10:11:12:13:14:15", NAME="ethernet"

# End udev rule

Later, Seeker