Cannot reconfigure xserver-xorg after upgrade to testing (Etch)

I upgraded from Sarge to Etch using apt-get dist-upgrade. Now I cannot reconfigure my xserver using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. The changed settings are remembered between dpkg-reconfigure sessions (ie saved to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4), but are not implemented. I cannot get a clean reinstall either. Here is the detail.

1. Purge xorg
I have tried to reinstall xserver-xorg, but it will not purge cleanly - there are errors reported by the postrm script.

   # apt-get --purge xserver-xorg

   Removing xserver-xorg ...
xserver-xorg prerm warning: X server provided by xserver-xorg package is
      being removed; setting /etc/X11/X to point to /bin/true
   Purging configuration files for xserver-xorg ...
   Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg ...
      /etc/rcS.d/S71xserver-xorg
   dpkg: error processing xserver-xorg (--purge):
     subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 128
     xserver-xorg

2. Install xorg
During apt-get install xserver-xorg, xserver-xfree86 debconf values are migrated

   # apt-get --purge install xserver-xorg
   Preconfiguring packages ...
xserver-xorg config warning: Migrating xserver-xfree86 debconf values to
      xserver-xorg.

dpkg--reconfigure offers a choice of two xservers to configure (even though xserver-xfree86 is not installed). It does this twice, and no other configuration screens are offered. I chose xserver-xorg both times.

   Select the desired default X server.
   xserver-xorg
   OK

   Selecting previously deselected package xserver-xorg.
(Reading database ... 153676 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking xserver-xorg (from .../xserver-xorg_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb) ...
   Setting up xserver-xorg (6.9.0.dfsg.1-4) ...
xserver-xorg config warning: Migrating xserver-xfree86 debconf values to
      xserver-xorg.

   Select the desired default X server.
   xserver-xorg
   OK

   Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg ...
      /etc/rcS.d/S71xserver-xorg -> ../init.d/xserver-xorg

I now have a working xserver using the nv driver (I originally configured X for my Nvidia card in Sarge).

3. Reconfigure

   # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Video display defaults to vesa. (It is possible to select nv, but I still end up with a flickering vesa display.)

xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
      file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.200602271117
   System startup links for /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg already exist.

I cannot change the default vesa setting and get my nv setting back. I have tried
   # md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >| /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
before using dpkg-reconfigure, and
   # dexconf -o /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
after dpkg-reconfigure, without success.

Can anyone suggest how I could get a clean reinstall of X, without migrating my old xfree86 settings?

Chris.