Re: having problem with locales ?

"Mehmet Fatih Akbulut" <mfatihakbulut@gmail.com> wrote:

> which locales should i select to see characters like ı,ş,ç,ö,ğ,ü
> correctly on konsole ? en_US UTF-8 doesnt show them right.

NOTE: this message is in UTF-8; it will not display correctly on a
non-UTF-8 system.

I think you haven't selected the en_US.UTF-8 locale successfully. What
does the locale command say? Perhaps you did not really generate the
en_US.UTF-8 locale?

Any UTF-8 locale should show UTF-8 texts in the same way. The difference
between the various UTF-8 locales is only in the user interface (the
language of menus, warnings, etc.), not in the encoding or displaying of
texts.

In this case, what you want to see is e.g., a Turkish dotless i (ı),
which is 0xc4 0xb1 in UTF-8. What you see instead is ı. In ISO-8859, Ä
is 0xc4, ± is 0xb1. So it seems that in your case, the application
generates proper UTF-8, but your system still uses some kind of ISO-8859
character set. Switching to any kind of UTF-8 locale (which can be done
in Debian by setting e.g. LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/environment) should
solve the problem, I think. IMHO Debian should do this by default.

Regards, Jan
http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html