Re: samba/ldap/nss

Jamie Thompson wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> OK - I've decided to look into using a debian box as a PDC using a
>> combination of samba and openldap (this is on sid).
>>

> <snip>
> Yeah, I did this as well, though I stick to testing. Works nicely.

Hmm. Not going so well here.

In /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:         ldap compat
group:          ldap compat
shadow:         ldap compat

getent passwd | grep chris returns

chris:x:1000:100:Chris Searle,,,:/home/chris:/bin/bash
chris:x:1000:100:Chris Searle,,,:/home/chris:/bin/bash

pam.d/common-account contains

account sufficient      pam_ldap.so
account required        pam_unix.so

common-auth contains:

auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so
auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok_secure

and common-password contains:

password   sufficient pam_ldap.so
password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

Now - if I remove my entry from /etc/passwd and then try to login I just
get returned to the login: prompt. Nothing appearing in auth.log.

The ldap entry for the user is present (as can be shown with getent) -
so - why can't I log in?

Some notes - this system originally used /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
The migration scripts that created the ldap entry did some kind of
merge. So - the ldap record looks like:

# chris, People, home.chrissearle.org
dn: uid=chris,ou=People,dc=home,dc=chrissearle,dc=org
uid: chris
cn: Chris Searle
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}<lots of chars here>
shadowLastChange: 11970
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /home/chris
gecos: Chris Searle,,,

What have I added to ldap - well - the dc=home,dc=chrissearle,dc=org
organisation, the ou People and this user. Nothing else as yet.

Any ideas as to why I can't login?

--
Chris Searle
chris@chrissearle.org      http://www.chrissearle.org