Re: [petsupermarket.sspam@uol.com.br: RE: ...]

Sunday, 26 February 2006 19:31, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Are other people receiving emails like the one I've attached after
> posting to debian-user?

Yes. Well, I was, until I spoke to my friendly mail server admins and
had them reject *.sspam@uol.com.br at SMTP-time.

> Is it possible to track down the person who's causing this and tell
> him/her to make sure the spamfilter skips postings from debian-user?

See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00068.html

In short: the subscriber causing it is unknown. Someone is forwarding
their list mail (not just from Debian; Googling for the Petsupermarket
address shows a lot of annoyed mailing lists) to Petsupermarket, and
their challenge-response spamming system wipes out all previous
headers.

Irrespective of their non-subscription status, Petsupermarket and UOL
are abusing the network with their practices, and such abuse is rightly
reported using Spamcop or similar. Of course, UOL, being the same
incompetent ISP which set up the broken system, are unlikely to act on
their own spam. As such, you may have more luck referring your
complaints to Carlota de Paranaguá Moniz, Head of Investor Relations at
ri@uolinc.com.

As for convincing Petsupermarket itself to disable the abusive
challenge-response system, getting in touch with them via e-mail seems
unlikely to succeed. Perhaps one would have more success with one of
the other methods they list on their web site,
http://www.petsupermarket.com.br/, such as ICQ 147223608, MSN messenger
petsupersuporte@hotmail.com, or Skype petsuper or petsupermarket.

--
Alex Nordstrom