Re: OfficeJet 4110 [Was: Why do I bother?]

jlquinn wrote:
I posted several days ago about the lack of success I'm having with an HP 5440 (regular inkjet). I have hpijs installed (the debian package), but the HP tools can't find the printer and hence nothing works for me.

I see the printer device show up in the kernel log when I plug it into USB. However, beyond that, I've got a paperweight, despite the fact that this printer is supposed to work perfectly.

I have a USB mouse that works fine and I've used USB memory sticks and synched my Palm on the same machine, so basic USB appears to work.
<snip>
It looks like you've been through the debug cycle before. Would you have any suggestions?

Hmm, If I recall correctly when I installed the printer (the 4110, two years ago, with hpoj drivers) there was a whole debug procedure available to determine exactly what was going on. I cannot remember much about it now but I believe it was listed at http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/doc.shtml

HPOJ at that time did support USB connected devices so you luck with older releases perhaps. You might also find some help in the forum at http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

You may also want to check linuxprinting.org which IIRC has a database of working devices (as does hpinkjet.sourceforge.net).

I don't have any better suggestions than that sorry.

Brett