OfficeJet 4110 [Was: Why do I bother?]

S Clement wrote:
<snip>
> The usb connectiion did not work and neither did the printer, an HP Officejet 4110.

For anybody that's interested, I have used a HP OfficeJet 4110 for two years on Linux using hpoj with no problems (apart from the initial setup, due to several factors which aren't the case now). The computer was running Gentoo, but I am migrating that computer to Debian Sarge today and do not expect any problems.

Given that you are having problems with USB and that the OfficeJet 4110 is connected via USB perhaps if you fix one the other will come right.

In any case you may want to check out the driver: hpoj and hpijs. http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/ OfficeJet4110 support has been part of hpoj but has now moved into the hpijs package (I am not sure how Debian have packaged the drivers as yet). The Linux printing website (www.linuxprinting.org) is also full of useful information.

In general, as far as I know HP have the best (only?) Linux support for multi-function devices. (and for anybody who wants support from companies, they do appreciate a note of thanks, it shows them both that their time isn't wasted and is often the only way they can gather statistics on usage).

HTH.
Brett