Re: can I define a default printer in firefox? how?

On Saturday 25 February 2006 15:54, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
Snip down to my part.
[...]
>> > And I'll submit that if cups and gutenprint are properly installed
>> > and configured it works, and does so without any interference from
>> > xprint. I saw it in an htop report one day, got curious and
>> > stopped it, also disabling its startup at boot time.  That was
>> > about a month ago and I've yet to have anything refuse to print or
>> > print wrongly in any way. So I've removed one potential source of
>> > printing mischief.
>> >
>> > What exactly WAS it supposed to do anyway?

>> > --
>> > Cheers, Gene
>>
>> Hi, Gene.
>>
>> I'm the OP on this thread. My complaint is that firefox print window
>> always lists five candidate printers, only two of which actually
>> work and neither of these is ever the default selection.  Every time
>> I forget to explicitlys select a printer, I fail to get my printout.
>> I find this an annoying waste of time.
>
>I just removed xprint altogether and its been fine. it looks scary
> because apt-get remove xprint wants to remove the meta package
> x-windows-system, but that is only a meta-package and does no damage,
> AFAICT.

There is a cups cli command to set the default printer, something I've
not seen in the localhost:631 menu's, as cups supplies cupsified
versions of all the usual system tools.  Check the docs for I think,
lpadmin, which IIRC is how the systemwide default is set.  Maybe thats
not been done yet?