Re: can I define a default printer in firefox? how? [solved (maybe) ]

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 04:06:37PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On 2/25/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:02:09 -0700
> > Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> > the
> > > > >>
> > ####################################################################

> > be

> > > Hi, Gene.
> > >
> > > I'm the OP on this thread. My complaint is that firefox print window
> > > always lists five candidate printers, only two of which actually work
> > > and neither of these is ever the default selection.  Every time I
> > > forget to explicitlys select a printer, I fail to get my printout. I
> > > find this an annoying waste of time.
> >
> > I just removed xprint altogether and its been fine. it looks scary because
> > apt-get remove xprint wants to remove the meta package x-windows-system, but
> > that is only a meta-package and does no damage, AFAICT.
> >

> I too have purged xprint without ill effect, and firefox now lists only my
> CUPS printers, but in alphabetical order, ignoring my CUPS default.
>
> Patrick

1. Debian does not use /usr/lib/X11/X*printers ,
it reads /etc/Xprint/C/Xprinters instead at boot.

2. /etc/init.d/xprint restart does NOT cause re-read of above config. file.
The only way I have found to set the new config. is to reboot (ugh!)

3. Commenting out two lines in Xprinters gets rid of the two most offensive
printers.

4. The remaining printers are diplayed in lexical order with the first
one selected. Systemwide defaults and CUPS defaults have no effect on
display order or default selection in firefox. So I choose a name for
my desired printer that collates before the others.

5. Notes in /usr/share/doc/xprint-common/README.Debian indicate that the
Debian maintainer, Drew Parsons, is aware of this messy situation but is
awaiting work by others on Linux Standard Base before implementing a fix.

IMHO its a mess, but there are a lot of other messes in this world that
are worse than this one. Xprint seems to have been created to provide a
platform independent method for rendering from http: directly into
post-script for proper, clean printing of html. But it doesn't seem to
really solve the problem of work-a-day web printing, except when all its
nifty features are disabled, and if you are not too demanding about the
quality of the solution.

Thanks to all who contributed. Maybe this review will get others to an
end point faster than it took me. And, maybe future developments in X
will obsolete these comments (soon, I hope).

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net