Re: can I define a default printer in firefox? how?

Paul E Condon wrote:
Thanks. This really a good lead, but its not working. See below.

[...]

The mozilla-xprint behavior is mostly controlled by the settings in
/etc/Xprint/C/print/Xprinters.

On my machine the above named file exists and contains the lines referred to
below. But it also contains the following comments:

<quote>
# X*printers sample configuration file
#
#
# This file belongs in /usr/lib/X11/X*printers, where the "*" is the
# display number of the server.  For example, if the server is
# invoked using the command X :0, then the X0printers file is used.
</quote>

When I make changes to this file and restart my X system, I see no change
in behavior. Perhaps I need to make a copy per this comment. But this
seems to me to violate Debian policy, so I wonder if there is not something
else that should be done instead.

Just to make sure what you mean by "restarting your X system": You have
to explicitly restart "xprint" for the changes to have an effect. (I
don't think xprint is restarted automatically when you restart the X
server; at least during bootup and shutdown it seems to be a separate item.)

Furthermore, I now realized that my default printer just happens to be
the first one when all printers are listed alphabetically, so maybe
achieving the desired effect was accidental in my case.

Regards,
           Florian