Re: Why do I bother?

>On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:12:18PM -0800, S Clement wrote:
>

>>> I am wondering if I should be sending this to Debian or to a
>>> psychiatric facility.
>>

>[...]
>

>>> After more than a dozen tries, understandable since I haven't
>>> installed it for over five years, I finally got it installed the way I
>>> wanted it.  Then I hit the wall.
>>

>[...]
>

>>> I have ordered an installation set for 3.1 to see if it works any
>>> better.  If it doesn't, I'll have to relegate Debian to the status
>>> of toy, somthing to play with.  For work I will have to use WinXP.
>>> With that I stick the disks in and it installs and works.  There are
>>> modifications I make, but it works.
>>>
>>> When will Debian?
>>

>If reinstalling the OS is the only thing you ever try to fix a problem,
>then you should be using Windows.  Unix is not for you.

This begs the question, who is Unix for?  (We'll assume you meant "Unix"
to be synonymous with Debian in this context)  What a shocking
suggestion that someone would expect an OS that was developed, and
tested, for years before its final release, to simply work upon
install.  If you expect that, it's "not for you", apparently.  Perhaps
you're suggesting it's for people who view computers not as tools to
make life easier and more efficient, but as an activity to do in and of
itself (like digging a hole for no reason -- just for something to
do!).  Maybe you're saying that if you want to install and then USE an
operating system, "Unix is not for you".  Expecting to "stick the disks
in and it installs and works" is only for people who "should be using
Windows", you feel; so perhaps you're suggesting that real Unix users
want a never-ending install and subsequent tweaking process, like a
program caught in a loop, never-ending.   Never to actually be used,
just perpetually caught in the initial install.

Anyway, I know why I use Debian:  because I'm Mark, and I'm a
super-villain.  See http://www.opseu540.info/mpg/switchlinux3.swf for
further info.

Mark
super-villain