Re: DHCP address problem after etch upgrade

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
Hi David,

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 21:18 +0000, David Jarvie wrote:

After my latest upgrade this week (I'm running etch), the DHCP address
allocated to my machine has changed from being one allocated by my DHCP
router to being some external address. This results in the machine on my
network not being able to see my machine.

Previously, the router allocated an address with a subnet mask 192.168.0.255.
Now ifconfig is showing 169.254.106.31, which means that the other machine,
which has address 192.168.0.101 can't see me. What is strange is that I'm
getting the normal DHCP setup messages on the console:

DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.100 -- renewal in 302400 seconds.

but the actual address is different. I tried disconnecting the router from the
outside world, and the address then was 192.168.0.100 (which is what I used
to get, and what I want). I presume that when I'm connected, the DHCP request
is getting transmitted to my ISP and its reply is being picked up and is
overwriting the 192.168.0.100 allocated by the router.

Is it possible to make dhclient filter out any address which is not
192.168.0.x so that my network works?

In essence a me-too post, with the unavoidable question: did you solve
it and if so, what was the sollution?

The 169.254.106.31 might indicate that you inadvertently installed the
package "zeroconf" during your upgrade. The purpose of this package is
to provide an "easy", "automatic" way to set up an ad-hoc network
between computers. It used to be listed as "recommended" for some other
networking-related packages. Therefore, if your package manager is
configured to automatically install recommended packages, it can come
over your computer like a plague of locusts and totally screw up your
networking settings. (At least in Sid this has been changed meanwhile as
far as I can tell.)

To make a long story short: Check for zeroconf, uninstall it, purge it,
do an ifdown/ifup on your interface, and maybe run the dhcp client
again. This should restore your network to its normal state.

Regards,
           Florian