Re: Why do I bother?

Saturday, 25 February 2006 17:38, Andrew Cady wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 04:52:25PM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > (CCing you because you request it.)
>
> Did not.  (No bother).

From the headers of your messages:

> > That is not the purpose of this list.
>
> Nor is this.

Discussions regarding the appropriate conduct of the list, whilst
secondary to its purpose, are best held in an open manner. The same
cannot be said for exercises in haughtiness.

You are certainly not the only one to find the OP quite rude. I believe,
however, that the best response to rudeness is to rise above the
offender and meet him with tolerance.

(Before you attempt once again to turn my own arguments against me, I
should state that tolerance cannot reasonably be expected to extend to
intolerance itself. Hopefully, the distinction between intolerance and
rudeness is not too subtle.)

Where appropriate, one should point out any rude statements in a calm
and direct fashion, explaining why they are considered as such (many
new users simply fail to fully realise the scope of the volunteer
efforts that make Debian possible). This is much more constructive than
meeting hostility with hostility.

If one is not capable of a tolerant response (and I can certainly
sympathise with this), silence is an acceptable alternative.

Any other response will reflect poorly on the Debian and Free software
communities. (For reasons why we should care about our image, refer to
your next tax statement, web server log, or spam folder.)

It was quite obvious by the time you responded that the OP is not
subscribed to the list. Furthermore, it is also quite obvious that you
responded in bad faith for no other purpose than asserting superiority.
As such, it served only to make you feel good whilst wasting the time
of over 3,000 other subscribers and denigrating the community.

In spite of this, you continually fail to accept that you are in the
wrong. As I can understand the frustration of the OP's rudeness, this
is a bigger concern than the nature of your initial response.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/