Re: Why does aptitude do this?

On 24 Feb 2006, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> IMHO aptitude suffers from two grave design bugs:

[snip]

> IIRC I bug reported some of this a while ago, but the maintainer found
> nothing wrong with it so who am I to complain. As long as apt-get /
> dselect stay I'm happy :) Going through cruft with deborphan /
> debfoster is less work for me than dealing with aptitude.
> I just wish it weren't pushed as the default package manager in new installs.
>
> C.
Very much agree with this. Only missing a reference to wajig, IMO the
best solution to managing a Debian system. Since adopting it many months
ago I've had no more unpleasant surprises when upgrading.

>From the man page:

        wajig packages into one tool many commands useful for managing a
        Debian system. Instead of having to remember whether to use dpkg
        or apt-get or apt-cache, etc, wajig does the selection of the
        appropriate tool for you.

It does just what it says on the tin.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian