Re: cdparanoia hangs

Thomas H. George on 23/02/06 17:52, wrote:
Given the command to rip a track - e.g. cdparanoia 3 - the program starts to rip the track, then hangs with a message:

   ide: failed opcode was: unknown
   hdc: ATAPI reset complete

This repeats until I use top to find paranoia's PID and kill the program. After this if I restart the program it hangs immediately with no message unless I first unload and reload the cd in the cdrom. In addition to the cdrom drive I have a cdrw drive and a dvdrw drive. I have tried to use cdparanoia's -d option to use one of these other drives without success. I have tried purging cdparanoia and reinstalling it but this did not solve the problem.

For the record, my box is pure Sarge except for a 2.6.11 kernel compiled from kernel-source-2.6.11 downloaded from testing last summer.

Try searching the cdparanoia mailing list archive with your cd drive model or manufacturer name.

I found the mailing listers themselves were pretty helpful as well when I was having trouble ripping a 'protected' cd.

Adam