Re: howto check open ports ?

nmap is all you need. The manpage will tell you everything about it
you need to know. If you can't find an open port then you may want to
consider running an ssh tunnel (man ssh and look for -R and -L
options).

Even worse running TCP/IP over your ssh connection with a pppd and
Magosányi Árpád's pty-redir program. Mind you, I can guanentee that
your University IT dept will be justifiably pissed if you setup a VPN
between your home network and their LAN.

-Peter