Re: howto check open ports ?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:31:49 -0500
Stephen R Laniel <steve@laniels.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:26:05PM +0000, Oliver Lupton wrote:
> > My router/firewall blocks all ports, including those over 1023 (1024?)
>
> I assume you mean that your router *can*, not that it
> necessarily does. It seems like it would be awfully
> inconvenient to block all such ports, given that programs
> often need to open connections to non-privileged ports.
> E.g., see below for all the ports that netstat reveals have
> connections currently open.

Sorry, maybe I phrased myself badly.

I, and I think the original poster is in the same situation, have my own box behind a separate router, that router is firewalling incoming traffic (WAN -> Me) and in my case then it does block *all* ports except ones specifically allowed by the router admin (in this case, me).

The netstat output you show is, I believe, showing the local ends of any outgoing requests you have open, which are not blocked by the router. `netstat -l` shows a, what I think is a more relavent, list of ports your machine is listening on for incoming connections.

Cheers,

-ol

--
I will live forever, or die trying.