Re: etch vs sarge

On Wed Feb 22 14:36 , BAGI Akos <abagi@compuflex.hu> sent:

>Hi List!
>
>I run services on sarge in two major parts:
>- qmail,clamav,spop3, ssmtp,rblsmtp and
>- apache2,mysql 4.1,php4
>
>I'm considering to dist-upgrade from sarge to etch(testing)
>I would like to use mysql5 and php5 if it's not a to big deal to change.
>
>My question is:
>Can the dist-upgade do it for me or the chaos is waiting for me?
>I know mysql would like a full export/import.
>Is there anithing else?
>Is teher someone with experinece on it?

You should be able to just install mysql5 and php5, without upgrading your
whole system. The apt-get or aptitude command line should specify that the
packages are to be fetched from 'testing'. All the necessary dependencies will
be downloaded also. Currently, etch is going through some big changes, and if
you only really want to upgrade those packages, you might be better waiting
before until things have settled down before you do a dist-upgrade.

--
David Jarvie.