Re: DHCP address problem after etch upgrade

Tuesday, 21 February 2006 05:18, David Jarvie wrote:
> After my latest upgrade this week (I'm running etch), the DHCP
> address allocated to my machine has changed from being one allocated
> by my DHCP router to being some external address. This results in the
> machine on my network not being able to see my machine.
> Previously, the router allocated an address with a subnet mask
> Now ifconfig is showing, which means
> that the other machine, which has address can't see me.

The is not external addresses, but rather the "link
local" block. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3330.html for details.

In my own setup with Sid being served DHCP from a router, ifconfig is
also reporting an address from this range, but my actual IP address is
still in the range as allocated by DHCP, and this is
reachable from other machines in the network or by the port forwarding
rules in the router.

I haven't had the time or reason to investigate why this is, but I'm
suspecting it might have something to do with zeroconf, which was
pulled in by an update just over a month ago (remember, I'm using Sid).

If you use ip addr, you should be able to see that both addresses are
actually registered to the interface.

Alex Nordstrom
Please do not CC me in followups; I am subscribed to debian-user.