Re: DHCP address problem after etch upgrade

Tuesday, 21 February 2006 05:18, David Jarvie wrote:
> After my latest upgrade this week (I'm running etch), the DHCP
> address allocated to my machine has changed from being one allocated
> by my DHCP router to being some external address. This results in the
> machine on my network not being able to see my machine.
>
> Previously, the router allocated an address with a subnet mask
> 192.168.0.255. Now ifconfig is showing 169.254.106.31, which means
> that the other machine, which has address 192.168.0.101 can't see me.

The 169.254.0.0/16 is not external addresses, but rather the "link
local" block. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3330.html for details.

In my own setup with Sid being served DHCP from a router, ifconfig is
also reporting an address from this range, but my actual IP address is
still in the 192.168.0.0/16 range as allocated by DHCP, and this is
reachable from other machines in the network or by the port forwarding
rules in the router.

I haven't had the time or reason to investigate why this is, but I'm
suspecting it might have something to do with zeroconf, which was
pulled in by an update just over a month ago (remember, I'm using Sid).

If you use ip addr, you should be able to see that both addresses are
actually registered to the interface.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/