Re: DHCP address problem after etch upgrade

David Jarvie wrote:
> After my latest upgrade this week (I'm running etch), the DHCP address
> allocated to my machine has changed from being one allocated by my DHCP
> router to being some external address. This results in the machine on my
> network not being able to see my machine.
>
> Previously, the router allocated an address with a subnet mask
192.168.0.255.
> Now ifconfig is showing 169.254.106.31, which means that the other
machine,
> which has address 192.168.0.101 can't see me. What is strange is that I'm
> getting the normal DHCP setup messages on the console:
>
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
> bound to 192.168.0.100 -- renewal in 302400 seconds.

Your router should be proving the same information as before to your PC
(assuming you haven't change/updated etc anything on your router). It
doesn't make any sense at all. I would try capturing network traffic.

Any trace of the 169.254.106.31 DHCP request? (check /var/log/daemon.log)

Is there any static ip configuration on your /etc/network/interfaces ?

> but the actual address is different. I tried disconnecting the router
from the
> outside world, and the address then was 192.168.0.100 (which is what I
used
> to get, and what I want). I presume that when I'm connected, the DHCP
request
> is getting transmitted to my ISP and its reply is being picked up and is
> overwriting the 192.168.0.100 allocated by the router.

The problem seems to be on your router, not your client. Maybe you
misconfigured it out somehow. If your router is working as a DHCP server
 it shouldn't retransmit any requests to your ISP.
What kind of "router" is this?

> Is it possible to make dhclient filter out any address which is not
> 192.168.0.x so that my network works?

Definitely not the way to go I'd say. And I don't know if this can be done.

jorge