Re: Sponaneous KDE logouts since recent upgrades (etch)

>  The problem happens when I leave the computer for a little while. The
>  screensaver kicks in as normal and I'll return to the PC in say ten
>  minutes and press a key/move the mouse. The screensaver clears and the
>  desktop/application shows for a moment but then I'm logged out back to
>  the KDM login screen and have to log myself in again.

Are you, by any chance, using shadows or translucency?  If so, disable them,
and that will probably fix it.  They are much more stable than they used to
be, especially with the latest NVIDIA drivers, but they can still crash.

If not, look in your Xorg.log and see if there are any errors.

If that doesn't help, then make sure you're running the latest versions
of...well...everything.  You didn't say if you're running sarge, testing,
sid, or what.  If you're on testing or sid, upgrade and keep trying.  If
nothing else, try a dist-upgrade.

I'd recommend running a debugger on X or KDM or whatever startkde runs, but
I don't know how to do that; maybe someone else can step in there.