Re: machine crashes with kernel panic: fatal exception in interrupt

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:39:11PM -0600, Karen Larson wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.  Let me clarify a bit.
>
> I know I should not put testing on a production server, but testing at
> that point (January a year ago) was almost the stable sarge and I took a
> chance.  Woody was just too old.  I didn't think of using dist-upgrade
> as I was going from the old testing-sarge to stable-sarge.  All the
> security updates that I did over the last year were done with just the
> security update line in sources.list.
>
> In January this year, I replaced the commented out testing lines from
> the original install with uncommented sarge lines in sources.list, left
> the security one, did an aptitude update followed by an aptitude
> upgrade.  I then installed the 2.6.8-2-686-smp kernel from
> stable-Sarge.  That one as well as the original testing-sarge one
> (2.6.8-1-686-smp)are both crashing when doing the backups.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Karen
Hi Karen,
your first reply was written in the third person, so I was not sure if
you were the one familar with the server but with your last reply, I see
you are the one who did the update. My only guess is that it is a kernel
issue and you may want to get a more recent kernel. Since you are
running a 2.6 kernel, you may benefit from the recent changes. I'm not
sure about doing this as I run 'unstable' on my desktop and my laptop
which has sarge does not have a 'tape' drive. So maybe someone else on
the list could point you to updating to a recent kernel with a sarge
system. I'd also suggest going on #debian on irc.freenode.net as they
have some good folks who may know even more useful stuff and you get
faster replys.
Cheers,
Kev