Re: machine crashes with kernel panic: fatal exception in interrupt

Thank you for your reply.  Let me clarify a bit.

I know I should not put testing on a production server, but testing at that point (January a year ago) was almost the stable sarge and I took a chance. Woody was just too old. I didn't think of using dist-upgrade as I was going from the old testing-sarge to stable-sarge. All the security updates that I did over the last year were done with just the security update line in sources.list.

In January this year, I replaced the commented out testing lines from the original install with uncommented sarge lines in sources.list, left the security one, did an aptitude update followed by an aptitude upgrade. I then installed the 2.6.8-2-686-smp kernel from stable-Sarge. That one as well as the original testing-sarge one (2.6.8-1-686-smp)are both crashing when doing the backups.

Any other ideas?

Karen