custom module configuration with make-kpkg

Hi,

I've searched a little too long now for an solution to what I think is a very
simple problem.

I'm compiling a kernel in a subdirectory of my home with `make-kpkg
kernel-image` and I've got my .kernel-pkg.conf set up to:

    maintainer := Sukant Hajra
    MODULE_LOC := $(HOME)/src/linux/modules
    debian := $(shell date +%Y%m%d.%H%M)
    root_cmd := fakeroot
    kpkg_follow_symlinks_in_src := YES

I've unpacked the debian module sources I'm interested in (ieee80211-source
and ipw2200-source) into ~/src/linux/ and everything is set up to compile
perfectly with `make-kpkg modules_image`.

The problem I'm having is that I need to compile ipw2200 with
CONFIG_IPW_DEBUG=y.  It just doesn't appear as though the make-kpkg is making
any use of the Makefile provided by ipw2200-source.  According to the
Makefile, debugging is supposedly set, but it just doesn't appear to be when
I load the installed the compiled module.

Basically, make-kpkg is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes, and I'm just
not really sure I'm following it all.  I run make-kpkg from the root of the
kernel tree, so I thought maybe I could append CONFIG_IPW_DEBUG=y to the end
of the .config file, but that just instantiated a `make oldconfig` before
compilation.  I even tried to export CONFIG_IPW_DEBUG=y before running
make-kpkg, but that didn't seem to do the trick either.

What's the recommended method to compile modules with make-kpkg with custom
options?  Should one of the methods I tried above worked (I can try it
again)?

Thanks for your input,
Sukant Hajra