Re: GNU Hurd

As far as advantages, most of them should be called 'potential'
advantages and are outlined quite well in some of the documents
referred to by some other replies.  It's a remarkably interesting
project, but (besides the odd story I've heard to run a web server
just to show it can be done) it's not very useful yet. It also likely
wont be useful for quite a while.

Debian GNU/Hurd and vanilla GNU/Hurd are two different things. The
former uses Debian packages and the latter is usually a 'from-scratch'
environment (I'm told most developers run vmware from-scratch
environments unless their efforts focus exclusively on the Debian
GNU/Hurd OS).

The biggest thing that seems to be holding up development has been the
realization by key members of the project that the Mach kernel has
fundamental flaws that do not support the long term goals of the Hurd.
There was some work done to get Hurd to work with the L4 kernel but
recently the commitment to L4 has been damaged and the last time I
checked (roughly a month ago) they had not committed to a new kernel to
port to yet.

The #hurd channel on irc.debian.org is relatively active and I'm sure
can answer whatever question you can come up with.

-Peter