Re: which command can be used to show IP address

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:04:11 -0500
Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 03:42:49PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> > I use sarge.
> >
> > I have cable modem connection, use DHCP to config, Do
> > I have fixed IP? I plan to set up web site using it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> Hi Serena,
> DHCP means dynamic host control protocol, thus no, you have a changing
> ip.

That is not always true. My ISP requires/recommends to set-up with DHCP, but I always get the same IP, so it works just fine with static as well, especially if the 'net is down when I start-up my gateway. I guess they do this to make it easier for the users.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)