Re: wine 3d very very slow, toolchain problem?

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:26:23PM -0600, Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> From: Rodney Gordon II <meff@pobox.com>
>
> <snip>
>
> >I have nvidia-kernel-source installed and modules built for both of my
> >kernels, 2.6.15.4 mainline and also 2.6.15-ck4. nvidia-glx and
> >nvidia-glx-dev are installed, as are the proper libraries wine
> >requires.
>
> >Hardware:
> >Pentium D 830 (3GHz dualcore)
> >1.5GB RAM
> >Asus P5LD2 Mobo
> >nVidia 6600 256MB PCI-E
>
> Not to sound flipant or anything are you using the amd64 port? Are
> you using emt64, or are you sticking with a 32 bit working
> enviornment.  Also are you using smp support in your kernels?

I am using a 32bit environment, and 32bit kernel. SMP is enabled in my
kernels, yes. I prefer to use 32bit for now until things mature a bit
more over on the 64 side.

> I know this might not have much to do with wine, and cedega working
> like it should, but it could explain the slow fps. I would install
> the amd64 port, and use a 32 chroot for all those 32 bit programs
> you still need. Also make sure you use an smp kernel, if your
> unsure about that look at dmesg and see each core come up.

This is how I had it setup, and working, just about 2 months ago. Both
cores do come up with this layout and my new 32bit layout. I would
prefer to stick to 32bit for now. I don't really think this is the
cause of the problem, because others I know with nearly the same
hardware have this working.

> I would also make sure you using the most recent Nvidia drivers, as
> I know that it might take Debian a while to get the latest drivers
> as packages. They are supposed to have better support for dual core
> cpu's, which might be part of the problem your seeing.

I am using their latest drivers. I run sid and I also have rdonald's
repository in my sources.list just in case there are newer ones out.

> Your GPU is also not know for its speed, have you turned down all
> the AA and stuff,

Yes, I have all settings to lowest, nearly every feature turned off.
Still, I get this horrible speed, which isn't even near to *half* the
speed I got in windows.. Friends have reported getting a framerate
near the speed of windows, but for some reason I cannot even achieve
half.

> [snip]
>
> If you don't get much response from this list you might want to post
> over on the amd64 list. As that really is where all the dual core
> 64 bit talk is aimed at.

Yeah I am on that list also but I am discussing a 32bit kernel and
userland.

Thanks for your insight.
-r