Re: autofs not mounting certain devices

Kenward Vaughan wrote:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:54:34PM -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
I just switched over to udev and autofs to make my wife's work with an
mp3 player easier, but have hit some strange behavior with autofs.

I have each device I want to mount under separate files, referenced by
auto.master, as follows:

=====

daddy:/etc# cat auto.master auto.mp3 auto.flash auto.cards|grep -v ^#
|uniq
/misc   /etc/auto.mp3           --timeout=3
/misc   /etc/auto.floppy        --timeout=5
/misc   /etc/auto.flash         --timeout=3
/misc   /etc/auto.cards         --timeout=5

mp3             -fstype=vfat,sync       :/dev/mp3player

flash           -fstype=vfat,user,sync          :/dev/flash

cards           -fstype=vfat,sync       :/dev/cards

=====

udev seems to have no trouble recognizing these, but I cannot get the
memory stick to be mounted by autofs:

=====

daddy:~# ll /dev/mp3player /dev/flash
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2006-02-18 22:41 /dev/flash -> sda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2006-02-18 20:36 /dev/mp3player -> sdb

daddy:~# ls /misc/flash
ls: /misc/flash: No such file or directory

daddy:~# ls /misc/mp3
iAUDIO - Friends & Lovers.mp3  movie  music  picture  record  system
	voice

I stumbled onto a solution.  My work with autofs came in part from a
website (linux gazette, issue 24) which suggested keeping the
individual devices separate, so that a problem with one would not lead
to possible concurrent problems with others.

What was not clear is the apparent need for all submount points (e.g.
mp3, flash, and cards, for me) which reference a single mount (/misc in
my case) to be included in the **same** auto.XXX file.  By including
the three lines from my individual files into a single auto.misc file,
things seem to be working as expected.  The master file obvously was
updated as well.

I expect this is somewhere in the docs, but it slipped past me if so.

HTH someone else down the road...

Kenward

For the record, I just got my own USB key drive to automount by installing gnome-volume-manager, and I did not have to modify any configuration files or create any directories. The drive just appears automagically at /media/usbdrive.