Re: Configuring inittab

Debian by default does not make good use (IMHO) of the runlevel mechanism.

It bundles all multi-user stuff into runlevel 2 and then leaves 3-5 undefined
(or the same as 2, depending on who you talk to). As far as I know,
they are always the same.

I don't know why - somebody else will have to justify it if they know
the reasoning behind it.

The traditional usage I was familiar with was
	2 - multi-user, no network
	3 - standard multiuser
	5 - multi-user with X

I always preffered to boot to RL 2 to check out the system before
things like mail and web accessess started coming in, and if
everything looked good, 'telinit 5' to open it up.

Anyway, the infrastructure is there, and you can fix it if you
want. I am sure there was a good reason for the change, but I
sure as hell can't think what it would have been...
(maybe to simplify package management for packages that involve
additions to system startup - so they wouldn't need to ask
about with runlevel things get added to??)

To fix it, just add/remove links from /etc/rc<level>.d as
appropriate to your needs.

Alternatively, if you have installed BSD style 'file-rc' then
edit /etc/runlevel.conf

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com