ATAPI CD-ROM Drive Issue

Anyone been reporting an issue with kernel 2.6.8-2-SMP and ATAPI CD-ROM's?  I have a Creative Labs 12/10/32 on my test bed and the new kernel version causes it to not exist.  The default 2.4.27-2 (non-SMP) lets it work just fine.

On topic with that, does anyone have a link for recompiling the kernel in Debian, preferably  as a step-by-step?  I *need* the SMP support, and I'd like a highly secure (read:  REAL CURRENT) kernel.