Re: Fwd: Reposting-2.6.15-1-686 Kernel Wont Upgrade

Hi,

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Reposting since I got no reply as seems to be the case
for me
lately.

I has happened to me before. In a list with 100's of messages a day and lots of useful comments and help, sometimes a few (usually mine) :-) go answered.

This is a problem I can't resolve and hope for
some
help. I see a lot of these upgrading issues on the
list, but no
solution for me.

OK, I am as far from an expert as it gets. So, these are just suggestions and take them with a grain of salt...

(...)
Would be most appreciative of any solution or
references for possible somution. The pertinent
error
shown is
"unable to make backup link of
`./usr/share/lintian/overrides/libslang2' before
installing new version: Operation not permitted".
Found one link googling for the lintian/overrides
error,

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=libslang2&version=unstable&arch=mips,

You can try:
http://pdo.debian.net/
http://pdo.debian.net/unstable/libs/libslang2

In any case, libslang2 seems to be the package giving you trouble.

but the site and search engine was disabled.
The wajig upgrade output is showm below:

Did you try "dist-upgrade"?

ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# wajig -v upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
(...)
Preparing to replace libslang2 2.0.5-1 (using
.../libslang2_2.0.5-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libslang2 ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libslang2_2.0.5-3_i386.deb
(--unpack):
unable to make backup link of
`./usr/share/lintian/overrides/libslang2' before
installing new version: Operation not permitted
(...)

Did you try to find that file (/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libslang2). Does it exist? What are its permissions?

You could try to uninstall the libslang2 package, do the update/upgrade and install it again? (It seems that mplayer et.al my depend on that... Copy the list of removed packages and reinstall all of them later.)

Maybe you can force an install/unistall using "dpkg --force"? (Check dpkg --force-help and dpkg man page. Be careful with it!)

Maybe you could look at the installation script to find out what it is trying to do with the mentioned file...

Sorry if this does not help much.

Good luck!

Luis