Re: unable to make backup link: operation not permitted (was: 2.6.15-1-686 Kernel Wont Upgrade)

Thursday, 16 February 2006 20:49, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> The pertinent error shown is
> "unable to make backup link of
> `./usr/share/lintian/overrides/libslang2' before
> installing new version: Operation not permitted".

Searching The Fine Archives indicates that this may be caused by the
file in question being immutable, possibly as a result of intrusion.
Use lsattr to check if this is the case, which would be a Bad Thing.

It could also be some other issue concerning the file system (buggy
Reiser hashing seems to have been a problem at least in the past), so
it would help respondents if you could mention what file system is
used.

> Found one link googling for the lintian/overrides error,
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=file
> list&word=libslang2&version=unstable&arch=mips, but the site and
> search engine was disabled.

You can use http://pdo.debian.net/ whilst waiting for the resurrection
of packages.debian.org, but all this particular link would show you is
a list of the files included in the libslang2 package in the unstable
branch for the Mips architecture.

I doubt this is related to the libslang2 package specifically, so a
better search for Google seems to be something like:

"unable to make backup link" "operation not permitted" site:debian.org

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/