Re: [**solved by a reboot**] moving (and losing?) partitions with cfdisk

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:40:27AM -0800, Levi Waldron wrote:
> So I got up this morning (on the west coast, as you hoped), booted up
> into knoppix again, and started backing up my MBR and first sector of
> each partition.  Then I noticed an icon on the knoppix desktop listing
> hda7 as a mountable partition, so I thought I'd try it again.  Exactly
> the same way as last night,
>
> sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt
>
> but it mounted!!!  No errors.  So I immediately backed up off-site
> everything I might possibly need, including the MBR and first sectors
Hi Levi,
congrats on the success. A disaster averted. here is what happened to me
once. I did dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb where 'a' was a small hd and 'b'
was a bigger hd. I was cfdisk'ing the newer one sometime later when I
made a mistake. I thought I screwed it up but did not format anything.
so I used sfdisk to make a copy of the 'a' disk partion table and used
it to make a copy on 'b' and this restored the 'b' hd to its former
partions.
Cheers,
Kev