Re: Whats the difference

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:33:48AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I was looking in the list of packages that are available and I came across
> these two
>
> linux-image-2.6.15-1-686
>
> kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
>
> So I basically would like to know whats the difference (apart from the
> version numbers obviously).
> The description using apt-cache isnt very helpful.
>
> If anyone could share some clarity on this, I would be most grateful.

There was a change to the name of the Linux kernel packages since
the OS kernel does not have to be Linux (it could be the HURD for
example).  The name linux-image means you have the Linux kernel, as
opposed to the generic term kernel-image which could be any OS kernel.

Pat
--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
kb8pym@arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM