Re: How to start an application automatically after X is started up?

On 2/15/06, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard that the ~/.xinitrc is not for start some application after X is started up,
> so I think it is totally wrong to modify the .xinitrc file, that's the reason why I
> didn't mention the error message...is there another way to do this thing?
> I am currently using XFCE desktop environment.

To my knowledge there are:

.xsession --  "run when a X Window System session is begun by startx
or a display manager such as xdm." Quoted from manpage `man xsession`

.xinitrc -- rc file for xinit which is called from startx.  xsession
files may also source xinitrc files to help eliminate confusion.  See
`man xinit`

.xclients -- I don't know if this is a standard file but I've stumbled
across it being mentioned before.  I couldn't find any reference to it
on my debian (etch) or Ubuntu systems.

configuration file of your windowmanager

I believe that xinitrc should only be used for clients you want
started when running xinit (startx), xsession should be used for
clients that should always be started with your xsession and the
window manager configuration files should start programs that you want
run only when using that window manager (ie fvwm modules).

If I'm off base on any of this please let me know.

--Dave