Sound problems after recent etch upgrade

Hello, fellow Debian users:

After a recent upgrade of my testing system, some sound apps work (xmms, eg) and others (in particular, xfce4-mixer) do not, complaining that there is no alsa device.  My sound driver - for the ESS maestro chip in my laptop - is compiled into the kernel.  (As an aside, I tried recompiling, with the driver as a module, but 2.4.27 gave errors using both gcc-3.3 and gcc-4.0; that's odd, because I've successfully compiled it with gcc-3.3 several times before.)

I installed alsa-utils and ran alsaconf, but it found no PnP, PCI, or legacy drivers!  (I thought perhaps it didn't like drivers in the kernel, which is why I tried to recompile.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Patrick