Re: Configuring network

Glenn English wrote:

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 16:33 -0200, Henrique Rennó wrote:

When I try pinging a host I get: Destination Host Unreachable. Like my
network configuration were set wrong. I just passed the IP, network
mask, default gateway and DNS during the installation process. I think
I can change them in /etc/network/interfaces.

Try pinging the IP you set at install. That will tell you if the IP
address actually exists to the computer. If that doesn't work, ping
127.0.0.1 to see if the networking is alive at all.

My lspci (just what is related to network):

0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Sillicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
0000:00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device
4318 (rev 02)

My guess is that something's going wrong with that Broadcom 4318. That
seems to be a wireless PCI card. That right?
If not, never mind.

If it is, pull it out and try again.
There seems to be a module problem, too. I googled a bit and found an
email about a debian boot problem. It wasn't net related, but there was
a list of his lspci, and the Broadcom card was recognized. Was it in
when you installed?

If there's another command for getting more information I'd like to be
aware, then I'd post more information here.

Try 'ifconfig' (as root -- '/sbin/ifconfig' as a mortal). That'll list
every network interface the computer knows about and how they're
configured. You should have eth0 and lo.
The second line of the eth0 info should start with "inet addr:" and give
the IP, broadcast, and mask. If there's none or it's wrong (or there's
no eth0) edit /etc/network/interfaces to (probably) fix that.
If you've got an eth1, there's a fairly good chance that somehow
somebody recognized that Broadcom wifi card, called it eth0, and
assigned your IP to it; pull it and reboot. But you probably don't.

If you need to configure a wifi card, try ndiswrapper - details at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/InstallDebianSarge

Hth,
Chris.