Re: Macro recorder like utility for Linux

On Monday 13 February 2006 18:58, mrbizz4@aol.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of a utility that will record mouse clicks and create a
> script in Linux, similar to the one that can be used in Microsoft Excel?
> I'm trying to automate interactive logon attempts to both my Debian system,
> and MySQL also located on my Debian system.  I was thinking of a network
> logon, but am unsure.  I want to be able to just run the script once, and
> then have it log on to various programs running on my machine.  I
> understand that the initial logon to my box might have to remain as user
> interactive, but beyond that point, I need it to be able to login
> automatically to various programs, specifically MySQL, and various web
> sites that require a username and password. Thanks for your help.
> Mike

It is possible to have KDE automatically log in a particular user when X
starts and you can put scripts or programs in their start folder (forgot what
it's called or how to find it) so they run on login.

Otherwise, most people just use a scripting language like bash or Perl or
Python to control most things on their computers.

I can only speak for myself, but my impression is that most Linuxers would not
tolerate any script or program that does an auto-logon to their system since
that defeats the purpose of being able to log on in the first place.

There is also a utility called cron which can be set to run different programs
at specific times and intervals.  That may help.

Hal