squirrelmail (stable) insists on apache2 when apache is installed

The docs for squirrelmail say it depends on either apache2 or httpd
(virtual).  The httpd docs say it is supplied by many web server packages
including apache.  However, attempting to install squirrelmail on my server,
which runs apache, results in apt-get trying to install apache2.  Why?

Is this a bug?

Can I continue my record of asking questions nobody knows the answer to?

Oh, "stable" here is Sarge, not oldstable.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your