Totem - optical device......

I have posted a question about trying to get Totem to recognise the optical
devices on my Acer laptop, on a previous occasion but never received a reply.

I have a partial answer to this, but now another question.

Totem is still empty without finding any optical devices when started. But if
I invoke XCDRoast first, and select a device, and then invoke totem. Totem
comes up showing all the optical devices, internal and external CD/DVD
drives, and I can select whichever i want to use to listen to a CD/DVD.

My question is:- what does XCDRoast kick in on starting to recognise the
optical devices, that totem doesn't?

There was reference to glade and such in the documentation, and I installed
that and other things I thought might help, but it did nothing to assist with
this situation, and I am thinking of ripping it out of the system again. I
haven't needed it for anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
--