Re: Xorg not working with Matrox G550?? MGAGetBOARDHANDLESize

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:46:52 -0800
Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> I finally had to downgrade these three packages and reinstall the mga
> drivers from the Matrox website to get X to start:

I have a g450, and use the same X as you do - on debian testing, but
don't really have the same problem as you. For me, X starts, dri
starts, sort of, and it's at least somewhat usable.

dri has trouble - and since about minor version 1-7 of xorg releases
have not been able to solve the problem I'm having when various
dri-using apps segfault because for whatever reason some graphics modes
are considered slow[1].

I've also not been able to get certain specific things to work
(most notably mplayer using -vo [x]mga, although -vo x11 works) at all,
since switching from Mandriva a long time ago.

I've been thinking about going to Matrox drivers from the web site, but
the last time I tried doing that was maybe a few years ago (got the
card in March 2001) and haven't tried doing that since. I went ahead
and grabbed the latest source tarball a few minutes ago from Matrox,
unacked it, and tried to compile[2] it.

If you or other list members can help me to transition to something
that will help, I thank you. I hate having to boot up mepis every time
I want to run a 3d thing like stellarium :(.

[1]
dfox@m206-157:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
[some output snipped]

0x2e 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x2f 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x30 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x31 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x32 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow

[2] hundreds of error messages - think maybe a devel lib is missing ?

mga_driver.c:3055: warning: passing argument 2 of
'MATROXValidateVideoParameters' from incompatible pointer type
mga_driver.c:3055: error: request for member 'scrnIndex' in something
not a structure or union mga_driver.c:3055: warning: return makes
integer from pointer without a cast mga_driver.c:3085: error: syntax
error before 'pMga' mga_driver.c:3085: error: request for member
'HALLoaded' in something not a structure or union mga_driver.c:3085:
error: request for member 'Chipset' in something not a structure or
union mga_driver.c:3085: error: request for member 'Chipset' in
something not a structure or union mga_driver.c:3085: error: request
for member 'Chipset' in something not a structure or union
mga_driver.c:3085: warning: comparison between pointer and integer

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.