Re: help with Debian

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:10:52AM -0700, Cuthbert Smith Consulting wrote:
> Hello, my name is Sandra Holden,
>
> We are in the process of creating a website for our company.  We have a
> domain name cuthbertsmith.com which we aquired through Roger Rendek at
> Caisnet.
>
> So, when I type in the domain name, it opens up to this Debian/Apache page
> "Welcome to your new home in cyberspace".
>
> I am not a computer programmer, but feel fairly confident in my computer
> skills, I have created my website using FrontPage.  I need to know how to
> now upload my website to our webpage.
>
> I have tried reading your information but find it fairly technical.  Would
> someone please help me with this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sandra
>
> Cuthbert Smith Consulting Partnership Inc.
Hi Sandra,
The apache server can server static and dynamic web pages. At the
moment, you suggest that you can create static webpages. But you at the
moment do not have the familiarity with the process of transferring web
pages to your web server. This would usually be accomplished with one of
two tool: ftp or ssh. I would suggest getting assisance from the folks
hosting your server. Beyond that I'd suggest a trip to a local library,
browse google for 'basic file upload' or browsing a book store and
looking for the o'riley books. And of course you may want to hire a
consultant to give your a basic tutorial or even hire someone to do the
pages. There is also another option that may require some extra effort.
You could try to learn some stuff about Gnu/Linux at a local linux users
group (aka a LUG). Most are very helpful and welcoming to new users.
There is one caveat: web pages are meant to represent professionalism,
so if you can not do justice to the web site by the standards of the
partners, it is worth it to hire someone to create something that
represents your organization.
feel free to ask more question.
Kev