Re: netinst question

Hi List,

> I'm new here, so please point me in the right direction if this
> question's answered elsewhere.

you're very welcome :-)

> This is my first attempt at installing debian via internet - I've
> been using the Agnula distribution, but for various reasons I'm
> trying the netinst install.  Trouble is, my laptop (hp omnibook xe2,
> p2 333, 3com cardbus network card) isn't automatically bringing up
> eth0 after the base install, so the fist steps of apt configuration
> fail because it can't find the mirror.

try to burn an image from debian.org in the case you can't get it to
work. With a fresh install a not detected network card is not important
(only for /etc/init.d/networking).

Then you can log in to make:

ifconfig -a

and you can load the appropriate kernel module (but afterward's you should let modules out of the kernel due to security reason's in the case you're using the internet).

> Is there a way to interrupt the install program at this point and
> manually bring up the interface with ifup?  I tried ctl-alt-F6 and
> logged in as root.  ifup eth0 works, but I can't figure out how to
> return to the install program after that.

Is your installer running ? Try ps -ax to have look what processes are
running.

> Again, I apologize if this is covered elsewhere - I couldn't find
> anything in the archives.

Quite brave to install debian from the INET with a laptop IMHO.

--
Best Regards,

Mark