Re: Disk checks on restart

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 06:32:24PM -0500, Tony Heal wrote:
> I have a server (woody) that is rarely restarted, but when it is a disk
> check is preformed that can take as log as 20 minutes. I believe it is
> running fsck at boot up before mounting  the partitions and when it gets to
> /var (92GB) and /opt (92GB) it take it a while to complete each. So I have 2
> questions.
>
> 1. Is it actually running fsck
Probably.

> 2. is there an online way to perform these checks so that it takes less time
> to restart when required.

(1) Use tune2fs to set how often a full fsck is done, based on the
number of mounts or the amount of time since the last one.
(2) Convert your filesystems from ext2 to ext3, if your kernel supports
it (tune2fs -j).
(3) You can change the last field of the line in /etc/fstab to zero, so
the filesystem will not be checked at boot.
(4) You can run fsck on an unmounted filesystem or one that is mounted
read-only.

--
Q:	What do you call a WASP who doesn't work for his father, isn't a
	lawyer, and believes in social causes?