Backport Questions

Having seen a number of questions lately responded to by directing the OP to backports, I decided to look into it, myself. I added backports to my sources.list, did an update and dist-upgrade. I said 'no' to the actual update so that I could look it over before committing myself to it. From what I can see, I will probably just remove backports from my sources.list.

From apt-get -u dist-upgrade:

94 upgraded, 59 newly installed, 8 to remove and 2 not upgraded

The packages to be deleted are:

mysql-client-4.1 mysql-common-4.1 mysql-server-4.1 openoffice.org-bin openoffice.org-debian-files openoffice.org-debian-menus openoffice.org-help-en openoffice.org-l10n-en

Now, I don't care about deleted packages as long as the equivalent is being brought in with other packages, however, I only see 2 mysql packages being installed:

mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common

neither of which provides mysql-server.

Also, the only openoffice files being added are:

openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-l10n-en-us

Of these files:

oo.o-common replaces oo.o-debian-files
oo.o-core replace oo.o-bin
oo.o-l10n-en-us replaces oo.o-l10n-en
oo.o-common-java is new

While the help for 1.1.3 is removed, no help is installed for 2.0

Nothing replaces, or conflicts with openoffice.org-debian-files (that I can see), yet it is being removed. I'm not surprised that it is not mentioned (in apt-cache show) for any of the packages to be installed, since it was from the package that I dl'd directly from www.openoffice.org that I used to install v 2.0 previously. IOW it is not from a Debian package, at all.

So, as near as I can tell, doing this dist-upgrade whould leave me without a mysql server, will remove my help for oo.o 1.1 while not providing any for oo.o 2.0 and will break the version 2.0 of oo.o that I currently have installed.

Is this correct, or am I missing something here?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com