Pb with etch netinstall - laptop/pcmcia/firewire - 3Com 3574

I tried a net install with the current etch iso image and the installer seems to have trouble recognizing my 3com PC card (LAN + 56K). It asks me whether I would like to do the install through the firewire interface, which sounds like a "last resort" attempt and is probably not relevant. The laptop does not even have a firewire port so I reply "no" and the installer proceeds to ask me if I would like to do the configuration manually and presents me with a list of modules. I select the correct 3574c module but the installer takes me back to the screen that informs me that it cannot not find the nic.. would I like to select the module manually.. etc. Only way I can get out of this is by hitting Escape. The installer then takes me to the next step (partitioning the hard drive) .. which is where I abort the installation.

I searched google & found a couple of laptop users who had experienced the same problem over the last year or so, but no resolution.

I use the default install - ie. I just hit enter at the boot prompt. Wondering if there's anything I need to specify when I start the install to indicate that I need to enable pcmcia..? Incidentally I did a sarge "net install" prior to this and did not run into any problem.