Re: Looking for a comment editor

Magnus Therning wrote:

<snip>

I was aware of literate programming, and it's a great idea but
unfortunately not a solution that _I_ could introduce. I don't write the
code, I only read it. Basically I'd like a tool that does the _opposite_
of *WEB. Whereas *WEB takes a single file and from it extracts code or
documentation, I want a tool that takes two files, a source file and a
comment file, and displays the two interleaved.

A possible solution could be to have your own branch in SVN or whatever vcs you use, which has the comments _in_ the file.

Diff'ing this against the main branch should result in the "comment" files. Ultimately, you must realise that if you have the comments in a separate file, you must somehow be able to realise where the comment comes from - the diff achieves this through a small amount of context.

You are using a vcs, right? (Version Control System)

If your organization for some really wacked reason doesn't use a vcs, and refuses to install one, you could at the least install one on your own computer for this exact purpose.