Re: Looking for a comment editor

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:53:57PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>on Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 05:12:57PM +0000, Magnus Therning (magnus@therning.org) wrote:
>> Maybe someone else has stumbled on this, either as a plugin to an editor
>> or as a stand-alone tool :-)
>>
>> I do a fair bit of code auditing, and while trying to make sense of
>> other people's mess I take notes. So far I've done this in vi (my editor
>> of choice), but this means I always have to document where the code I'm
>> commenting is (location, filename, line number, function name, etc).
>> It'd be so much nicer if I could do the commenting right "in the
>> source". I've been looking for a tool that would "interleave" the
>> original source and my comments. Never modifying the source by saving my
>> comments separately (but still associating the comments with the source
>> in some way). Is there such a tool already?
>
>Not something I've had much direct experience with, but this sounds
>suspiciously close to Donald Knuth's "Literate Programming".  Which may
>be more an ideal than something useful, but might make a good starting
>point in your search.

I was aware of literate programming, and it's a great idea but
unfortunately not a solution that _I_ could introduce. I don't write the
code, I only read it. Basically I'd like a tool that does the _opposite_
of *WEB. Whereas *WEB takes a single file and from it extracts code or
documentation, I want a tool that takes two files, a source file and a
comment file, and displays the two interleaved.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's Second Law:
Always keep a record of data -- it indicates you've been working.